The Royal Australian Regiment Corporation (RARC), traditionally known as the National RAR Association is an incorporated Company which functions as the peak representative body of its constituent members: the RAR’s State/Territory and Battalion Associations.
It was formed in 2009 to:
- enhance and protect the legal rights and limited liability of its members,
- broaden the opportunities previously not available to an unincorporated entity,
- appoint a Board that is democratically elected and subject to current best practice corporate governance and management.
The Corporations purpose, as written in its Constitution and expanded in its By-Laws, is to provide co-ordination on a National basis for the activities of its Members when such co-ordination is necessary.
- fostering and protecting the interests of its Members and their members and their families in any matter likely to be relevant to them during or after their service in the Royal Australian Regiment;
- providing advice and guidance to the Members and their members;
- perpetuating the close bonds of comradeship and esprit de corps created by service in the Royal Australian Regiment;
- preserving the memory of those members of the Regiment who have died on active and overseas service;
- representing the interests of the serving and ex-serving members of the Regiment and their families at national level;
- planning, organising and developing benefit services and conducting events related to the Members and the Regiment;
- developing and representing, the Members view on matters of interest to appropriate parties on National Matters;
- conducting fund raising activities on National Matters; and
- fostering, promoting and supporting the formation and growth of Members without in any way impinging on the internal management of their organisation.
To achieve its purpose the Corporation may enter into a relationship with any other organisation whose purpose/objects are compatible with ours..
The Corporation is governed by a Board of Directors and a National Council of its Members. The National Council comprises the Presidents of the RAR State/Territory Association Branches and the Battalion RAR Associations.
The Board comprises:
Michael von Berg MC OAM – Chairman. Michael is the President of the SA Branch of the RAR Association. He served with 5 RAR in Vietnam and has had broad and extensive experience in international and national business activities.
He lives in Adelaide.
Hori Howard AO MC ESM – Director. Hori is the immediate past Honorary Colonel Commandant of the Royal Australian Regiment. After many years in the Army was the Director of the NSW State Emergency Service. He maintains an active involvement in ES.
He lives in Austinmer NSW.
Pat McIntosh AM CSC – Director. Pat is the Chairman of Bolton Clarke (formerly RSL Care + RDNS Ltd), Altura Learning, RDNS NZ and RDNS Hong Kong. He has extensive experience in finance, training and operational and strategic planning.
He lives in Brisbane.SECRETARYTrevor Dixon – Company Secretary. Currently undertaking post-graduate studies, Trevor is also the Managing Director of a number of commercial enterprises. He is an advisor to the board of the DFWA, Chairman of his local High School Council and has previous experience including appointment as Company Secretary to another national not-for-profit as well as the immediate past president of his local RSL Sub-Branch.He lives in Brisbane.
The Corporation currently has both a Patron and Co-Patron:
Patron of the National Memorial Walk (NMW) –